The Deaf Interpreter demonstrates the following competencies aimed at continual development and enhancement of the Deaf Interpreter profession:
- Pursue professional development activities that involve interaction with colleagues, peers and other professionals.
- Actively encourage and participate in professional learning communities of Deaf Interpreters (e.g. meetings, workshops, conferences, virtual meeting rooms).
- Keep abreast of current trends in interpretation, linguistics, cultural studies, and research.
- Stay abreast of knowledge and current trends in a wide variety of subject areas (e.g., medical, mental health and legal) and any area in which the Deaf Interpreter may work.
- Pursue educational and interpreting credentials.